Last week, I accepted an assignment from Yahoo to come up with a Super Bowl music playlist, to liven up pre-game parties (I get paid per hit, so here it comes: shameless plug). As usual, I had to overthink things. Is there, I wondered, a difference between regular party music and Super Bowl party music?
Easy two-part answer: 1) It’s all subjective, and 2) For me there is.
Originally, I identified Super Bowl tunes the same way Associate Justice Potter Stewart identified hard-core porn: I know it when I hear it. Eventually, I recognized a pattern – most of my songs had a short, loud, punchy chorus easy for a talentless singer (like myself) to scream out without embarrassment. Not all my songs fit that description, but most did.
I started with a list of 50 or so favorite party songs; that was the easy part. The hard part was narrowing it down to the final dozen, with several worthwhile tunes left by the wayside. My list of #13-24 would have included Kiss’ ‘I Wanna Rock N Roll All Night,’ ‘Ride of the Valkyries,’ and ‘Foggy Mountain Breakdown.’
Of course, everybody has their own Super Bowl party favorites and the beauty of it is, nobody’s wrong. I asked my Facebook friends and family for ideas, and received a beautiful variety of suggestions. A few of them made my list; the ones that didn’t are below, and make a pretty good list on their own.
1. The Electrician – Walker Brothers
2. Another One Bites The Dust – Queen
3. Big Girls Don’t Cry – Fergie
4. Can’t Touch This – MC Hammer
5. The Lion Sleeps Tonight – The Tokens
6. We Are The Champions – Queen
7. Born To Run – Bruce Springsteen
8. Rocky Mountain Way – Joe Walsh
9. More Than A Feeling – Boston
10. Hotel California – Eagles
11. Even Flow – Pearl Jam
12. Start Me Up – Rolling Stones
13. Who Let The Dogs Out – Baha Men
14. Wrecking Ball – Miley Cyrus
15. The Wall – Pink Floyd
16. Living On A Prayer – Bon Jovi
Another friend didn’t suggest specific songs, but listed Jimi Hendrix, Ted Nugent and Nine Inch Nails. Lots of promise there.
(And for good measure, here’s some Super Bowl trivia)